The very first project that I wanted to attempt with my trusty sewing machine were some handmade burp cloths. As I began to put this tutorial together I realized that I must have been super excited during the actual process of making the burp cloths, because I neglected to take detailed pictures of each step! You are in luck though. I used this tutorial from Dana at Made, and her instructions (and pictures) are perfect!
Here’s a simplified run down of the details:
1. Choose cute, soft fabrics. I used either a soft chenille or a minky dot fleece for one side and cotton or flannel for the other side.
2. I took Dana’s advice and went with 10 x 18 cloths–it gives you the most bang for your buck!
3. Cut the fabric, pin right sides together, but make sure to leave an opening in order to turn the cloth right side out.
4. Trim the corners, turn cloth right side out, then topstitch all the way around the burp cloth.
5. Finally, topstitch two lines across the cloth so it makes it easier for mama to fold! I love the finished look this brings to them!
I’ve given a few sets of these burp cloths away as baby shower and “new baby” gifts!
I like to give them in sets of three, like Dana suggested, and wrap them with some extra fabric and a cute button!
If you’re new to sewing, it can’t get any easier than this project! If you’re a sewing pro, do you have any other suggestions for burp cloth designs? I’d love to hear about them.
Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you!
In case you missed the CHQ Blog Hop yesterday and want to link up, click here! We would love to have you join us!
I’ll be linking up at these fun parties!